Friday, November 9, 2007

Don't Harp on Me!


A very old friend, Victoria Drake, has come out with a new cd. She's a harpist - a very good one. I was always a little jealous of her musical abilities - she was able to play any instrument that she picked up and very well, at that.

I really like listening to her music in the background - it's very soothing and calming. I should put it on my iPod for work. Music hath charms to soothe the savage beast, they say.

The short movie on her website is very well done and explains how she's taken pieces written for the cello by Bach and transcripted them for the harp. I used to play them on the cello and they're some of my favorite pieces for the cello.

That's another form of creativity - being able to transcribe music for one instrument to another - not as easy as it sounds.

Today's quote: How monotonous the sounds of the forest would be if the music came only from the top ten birds. - Dan Bennett

No comments: