Monday, January 11, 2010

Palindrome Day 01-11-10

Okay, so I like numbers. I'm a geek - but unlike one of my friends, I do not read, nor shall I ever even pick up " The Journal of Recreational Mathematics." That sounds like an oxymoron to me if I ever heard one. But that's me. (And while I haven't actually seen the Journal, I'm told it does exist.)

I have my great-grandparents clock. It's a mantle clock and it never worked until last Saturday when I moved it and it started to tick-tock. Then it began to chime - and I never knew when to expect it, so it freaked me out a little at first. I figured that it didn't work and that this would not last. But it has.

Well, I've become accustomed to that clock. To the tick-tock and it's gentle reminders that time is passing. I like to think of my great grandparents marking the hours of the day (and night) with this clock. It's soothing, somehow.

My Grandmother used to have a number of clocks in her living room (about 6 - don't quite know why) and when I'd sleep on the sofa at night, all I could hear was all the clocks ticking - it would take me quite a while to wind down and go to sleep.

Happy Palindrome Day!

Today's quote comes from Harvey MacKay: Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it, you can never get it back.


No comments: