Sunday, December 27, 2009

Holidays

Man walking dog down ravine path in Lake Park.

I like the time between Christmas and New Year's the best. All the hustle and bustle of the holidays is over and it's time to play with your new toys. (I hope everyone got a new toy of some sort or another!)

I made two gifts for Christmas this year and they were well received - a felted wool scarf (which turned out very well but took forever to dry) and a beaded Brewer's logo for my sister the baseball fan.

I'm happy that I made at least two gifts this year. I did buy a handmade gift for my brother - a lamp by Kirkiture, an artist from Pittsburgh who makes amazing lamps. Shop seems to be empty now, but check back. Very nicely done.

Wintry tree on lakefront.

So now is the time of year that I spend reflecting on the past year and looking forward to next year. I have some things I'd like to accomplish next year fermenting in my mind. Time to pull out a journal and begin anew.

Today's quote comes from Ellen Goodman: We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential.

and another from John Burroughs: One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things.


No comments: