Saturday, December 8, 2007

Process behind Mona


When I started working on the Mona, I knew that it was important for me to just do some work, even if I had no particular plan in place. If I didn't do some embroidery, I was going to loose interest in the project and fall even further behind.

So I dumped out my pill bottle that was full of leftovers from other beading projects, pulled out the pearls and decided to give her a headband. I think DaVinci gave one of his other female subjects some sort of headband.

Then I thought she looked like a hippy and the song came into my mind.

Grabbed black beads for her hair and thought to myself - this is a chance to alter the Mona, even more. I picked an unnatural (for hair) color of red beads and stumbled across a string of Czech glass flowers (which I must have bought on a whim years ago) that were a perfect match for the beads.

I tried to make her hair have some movement - like she was in Golden Gate Park during the summer of '67 and the wind had caught her hair. I think I was successful.

Today's quote comes from Theodor Geisel: I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of the telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.

No comments: