Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Vernal Equinox

Happy Vernal Equinox!!!!! Wow. 12 hours of light (no sunshine here today.) That's good for us northerners who have missed the sun. Was 65 the other day and it snowed overnight. That's spring here in Wisconsin.

This is the work of Jim Kelly. He is an American Indian of the Oneida Nation. His work is beautiful. He embroiders and makes bags. This is the flap of a small purse.

He came to the beading retreat last week and we got a chance to talk about Native Americans and their heritage. The discussion reminded me of a book that I was given in high school - Seven Arrows by Hyemeyohsts Storm.

"The Stories are about both animals and people. You will find Stories about Mice, Wolves, Raccoons, Otters and Buffalo. These Stories are almost entirely allegorical in form, and everything in them should be read symbolically. Every story can be symbolically unfolded for you through your own Medicines, Reflections and Seekings. As you do this, you will learn to See through the eyes of your Brothers and Sisters, and to share their Perceptions."

The Loose Bead Society has been lucky enough to have one Native American gentleman speak at a meeting and soon Jim will grace us with another talk about Native American beadwork. I look forward to it!

I'm interested in Native American beadwork and when I was searching for the Ogalala Lace stitch online, the only site that popped up was a Russian site! How strange is that?

This is a pin that I finally finished for my baseball nut sister. I'm sure she'll wear it with pride. It was good to get that crossed off my list of to dos.

Today I am heading back into the studio to make myself a spot to work. And then I hope to do some beading.

Today's quote is a Native American saying: Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.

One more quote for today from Anne Bradstreet: If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great picture of your pin (or should I say Connie's)! You can really see the detail. It's beautiful.

Any Smith said...

Thanks for the compliment, Carla. I had fun at the retreat and hope you did, too.

Unknown said...

Yes, always fun to see the group. Fun and talented ladies.