Friday, May 8, 2009

The Beleaguered Dandlelion

Field of dandelions in a park near my home.

I like dandelions. I think they're a happy flower - what I have never understood is why they are the enemy to so many homeowners and why so many people complain about them to their local municipalities.

Dandelions can be eaten as a salad or made into a wine, right? So why destroy them with chemicals and lawn mowers?


And I don't like it when people refer to them as weeds. A weed is simply a plant that is growing in a place that it is not wanted.

There is something about the green of spring, especially the green in the tree above that I like. I like the contrast of the green against the slate grey skies of a storm (missed that shot the other day) and sometimes I take a break outside just to smell the green.

There's something to be said for each season. I love them all, but spring and fall are probably my two favorites.

I wait for the crabapple trees and the redbuds to bloom.

Another quote for today comes from anonymous: The miracles of nature do not seem miracles because they are so common. If no one had ever seen a flower, even a dandelion would be the most startling event in the world.

2 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

Lovely spring photos!

Any Smith said...

Thanks, Marilee!

I think your "leafy" dyed yarn looks like the spring green I yearn for.

Have a happy night!