Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fascinating Fractals

I have a friend who is unbelievably intelligent, especially in mathematics, and have always found it more than a little humorous that one of his favorite magazines was called the Journal of Recreational Mathematics. That, to me, is an oxymoron.

Math has been described as the language of science. Makes sense to me. I do find some math fascinating, such as Fibonacci numbers and Fractals. Watched the Nova episode about Fractals and Benoit Mandelbrot and loved the images I saw.


The pictures shown here are created by a series of equations that feed on one another. I like math as long as I don't have to do it - the complicated stuff, anyway.

Fractals shows up in nature and I really like the patterns that the equations create. Reminds me of the frost pictures I took last winter.

To see an animation of a fractal, click on this link
to Nova.

Here is a cool animation from YouTube. Makes me think of posters promoting rock concerts from the 60s on acid in the twenty-first century.




I find myself inspired by all things natural.

Today's quote comes from Albert Einstein: Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.

No comments: