Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Trunk Shows are Dangerous!

Rings and Things came to town today with their bi-annual trunk show featuring so many of their beautiful stone beads.

I was able to get some really great deals - 50% + off most of the items. I got some carnelian for a healing necklace for my friend who is recovering from breast cancer along with some small African turquoise. Picturing some sort of spiral with the turquoise and copper beads... hmmmm.

There were some really cool stones that I couldn't pass up. Got some Norweigan Moonstone to make a necklace for my half-Norwegian mother. If it has a sheen or a flash to it, I love it! Got some hypersthene, too. The stones shown here are examples of hypersthene, which, I find is related to labradorite. Go figure. Those stripes shine, sort of like tiger eye, but the change is much more distinct.

Anyway. I spent more than I should, but then I always do that. Mom says that I have a jones for beads. I didn't know she knew what that word meant!

If their trunk show comes to your town, get an invite! I think they'll send you an invite if you live near where their trunk shows are held and you've purchased something from them in the past. The prices were better than those I found at Bead and Button.

The Bead Society of Greater Chicago is holding their annual Bead Sale this Sunday. Haven't ever been before, so this should be interesting and probably costly. Usually is. I'll be on another bead diet after that.

On the creative side, I finally got that pattern I was having problems with to work after about 7 false starts. It took a while to crack because the pattern called for me to skip several beads and that felt unnatural to me. I still think that the instructions could have been written a bit more clearly.

Today's quote involves shopping (which I don't really do too often besides for beads (and for that my budget is happy)): Shopping is a woman thing. It's a contact sport like football. Women enjoy the scrimmage, the noisy crowds, the danger of being trampled to death, and the ecstasy of the purchase. - Erma Bombeck

No comments: