Friday, August 31, 2007

Perfect Late Summer/Early Fall Day

It's just so beautiful outside today. I hope to get outside after the sun leaves the porch (too hot) and take some pictures of my recent work and work in progress today and - of course - do some beading.

I made the paperweight at a bead retreat held by my bead society last spring. Playing with molten glass was awesome. There is a great bead store in Racine, WI called Funky Hannah's that has a Hot Glass Shop associated with it. This paperweight reminds me of a field of springtime flowers in a sea of new green grass. Of course I nearly burned myself on the rod.

The red basket is from a class taught in 2006 at Bead & Button by Marilyn Moore called Twined Little Jewel. It took me a while to finish it, and it is rough, but I really liked making it. I need to practice and make more. Marilyn Moore taught us how to make the supports, which are copper pieces that are heated in a flame until the metal balls up. Mary Hettsmansperger taught me the skill again last spring, but I need to practice more.

I got a start on my August page which has gone through a few different permutations since it formed in my head last spring. Made some marble pebbles last night which will do for the focal point, but have a few more drying. Want to have a nice choice available before I glue anything down to my substrate.

This time I'm trying the Fun Felt for 79 cents per sheet instead of $5 for stiff stuff and it's dyed. I hope it works!

Have my September page in my head, too, and might try to get a start on that this weekend since it will take steps to get the project to the beading portion.

I also want to do some resin work this weekend, so I think I'll have to drink some beer in order to get bottle caps to work with ;? I've been thinking about working with resin, just need to gather whatever I want to resin and this time I want to plan it out a bit. Resin is an awful lot of fun.

Fall always seems like a time of renewal to me. I feel like it's my New Year instead of January. My sister told me that she read somewhere that there are many people who buy office supplies at this time of year - like buying all those notebooks, folders, pencils and crayons all those years ago. I'm reminded of "You've Got Mail" when they talk about a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. I love this time of year!

Today's Quotation comes from Elvis Presley and it's one of my favorites, although I don't always follow it: Don't criticize what you don't understand, son. You never walked in that man's shoes.

And here's another that I really like by Dr Seuss: Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

No comments: